Elders are recognized because of their spiritual maturity and their ability to discern God’s guidance for the church. Elders know God’s word and provide Biblical guidance as they consider the health of Christ’s church and navigate the issues the church faces in the world today. Elders primarily serve as the visioning body of the church, as they prayerfully and faithfully seeks God’s will for Southminster. The Elders are charged with maintaining The Great Ends of the Church and assuring these ideals are realized through the ministries of Southminster.
The Great Ends of the Church serve as a reminder of Christ’s purpose for the church and therefore they guide us to a faithful expression of who Jesus calls us to be. The Great Ends of the Church are:
- the proclamation of the gospel for the salvation of humankind;
- the shelter, nurture, and spiritual fellowship of the children of God;
- the maintenance of divine worship;
- the preservation of the truth;
- the promotion of social righteousness;
- and the exhibition of the Kingdom of Heaven to the world.